Attingham Park (nr Telford/Shrewsbury)
Time & Location
About the Event
Attingham Park was built in 1785 for Noel Hill, 1st Baron Berwick, who received his title in 1784 during the premiership of Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger. Noel Hill was a politician who aided William Pitt in the restructuring of the East India Company. Noel Hill already owned a house on the site of Attingham Park called Tern Hall, but with money he received along with his title he commissioned the architect George Steuart to design a new and grander house to be built around the original hall. The new country house encompassed the old property entirely, and once completed it was given the name Attingham Hall.
The Estate comprises roughly 4,000 acres, but during the early 1800s extended to twice that amount at 8,000 acres (3,000 hectares). The extensive 640 acres (270 hectares) parkland and gardens of Attingham have a Grade II* Listed status. Over 394,000 people visited the house in 2014/15, placing it as the fourth most popular National Trust house.